Monday, September 29, 2008

Tabata Something Else

Well, after FGB we had Tabata This. Jerry said this was a good workout for post-FGB, and at first I thought he was crazy, but afterwards it made sense.

WOD:
20 sec of work, 10 sec of rest
Push ups X 8 (59)
Pull ups X 8 (40)
Squats X 8 (118)
ab mat X 8 (83)

The pushups were difficult, but they are getting easier all the time. I didn't even try to do Danny's kip with the pull ups, so I did pretty well with those. I should also mention that I did not tear any calluses, and that my hands got the "thumb's up" from Jerry. Glad to see I've gone from hand ignoramous to hand knowledgable. If I may digress, I really like how there are so many little aspects of Xfit to learn. I love learning, almost as much as I love teaching. Back to the WOD... the squats were surprizingly easy, given how my legs are STILL sore from the jumping lunges on Friday. I feel like I'm really getting good technique with the exercise, which is nice since it helps with everything else. I also felt special because the Barrier I use is different from everyone else's since I'm so tall (Ok actually I was a little embarresed, but I still thought it was funny) The ab mat were a little tougher than I thought they would be, didn't feel like I was dialed in. All in all my score was 300, and I'm ok with that.

...Then there was the "finisher" although it took longer for me than the WOD:

Burpees
KB High pulls 52#
reps of each: 21-19-15-12-9-6-3

Before we started, I was talking with Danny about proper form with the KB high pulls, and I talked about how you should front squat them. I was told to approach it as a front squat yesterday, and it turns out that was completely wrong. Danny said I should approach it as a deadlift.

Bingo.

Everything with that movement clicked. Viewing the movement as a deadlift turned one of my weakest exercises into one of my strongest. When I let go of the weight during the 12 or 9 round, Jerry started telling me how this is my exercise, that I was dialed in. It felt great, and that 52# was really, really light. After that I never had to break up the set.

The Burbees, on the other hand, still suck. I know they never really get better, but right now I'm still having a lot of trouble with them. After doing all those push ups it was tough. So even though I flew through the KBHP, I still came in at 17:51.

No comments: