Saturday, September 6, 2008

A tough circuit, a PR, an unorthodox waredrobe choice, and a training question

Well, when I tried to change at work before getting over to CFOT I realized I forgot to pack some exercise shorts. Don't know how I did that, but I figured I could workout in jeans, I've seen Chriss do it plenty of times.

Today's WOD:

For time
30 HSPU
40 pull ups
50 KB Swings 52#
60 abmat situps
70 burpees

This was my second attempt at a hand stand in my life, so I really couldn't do a hand stand push up. Jerry posted if you can't do a Hand-stand to do 4 mini-hands 15 times, so that's what I did. It took forever, not to do the four mini HSPU's, but to just get my hand stand's ready for the mini HPSU's. I just took this part of the WOD as a skill day, I wanted to really get hand stands down. During most of the time I felt a little light-headed, and saw stars prety much the whole time.

Not sure how long it took, but by the time I had finished HSPU's some people were fininishing up pull-ups, others were in the middle of KB, and some were already at ab-mat. I tried to go this part as fast as I could. I banged out 16 PU's, which is a new PR for me. After that I did them in smaller sets. I tried using Danny's big kip at first, but I just couldn't get it right, so I went back to my smaller, more vertical kip. Again, my hands felt like they were getting pretty torn up, but I didn't have any torn calluses. The KB swings were a little tough, I did them in set's of 10 with short breaks in between. The ab mat situps were a bit of a break, I've noticed a real improvement with this exercise.

When it got to burbee time I was having trouble doing them in my jeans, especially since they don't quite fit (a little too loose). So, I decided to go to the men's dressing room and do them in my boxers, with Stuart as a witness. After doing eight the JJ class started to come in and change, so there wasn't any more room. I really couldn't go back to doing them in my jeans, so an idea hit me. I changed into my briefs, then put my boxers back on, and viola: shorts. When I went back into the blue room it got a few laughs/comments/stares, but I was more concerned about finishing up my burbees. I hammered out about 12 more really quickly and then hit a wall. I had to stop and them did them in sets of 10. I couldn't believe the last set was as tough as it was, I just didn't have the strength to do another straight 10. After 5 I just kind of colapsed, even though I kept telling myself the faster I got it over with the faster I would get to rest. When the last five were done, so was I. I'd post a pic of me working out in my boxers, but so far Jerry hasn't posted any of them, guess they didn't turn out so well.

Turns out working out in my "shorts" caused quite the commotion, I heard comments about how I would drive away potential xfitters, comments on how I would help bring in potential xfitters, Danny didn't want to do burbees too close to me (really don't know why), I even heard Jerry mutter "psycho" under his breath after taking a picture of me lying in a puddle of my sweat.
Although I wasn't surprized, I have to say I find it odd that people make a big deal out of it. I think my lack of modesty stems from growing up in a household with a lot of nude people in it. Before you judge let me explain. My father is an artist (I've uploaded one of his drawings here) and he's always done life drawings. Not only were my dad's works everywhere in my house, sometimes he would host art classes in his studio so there would be live nude models. I've never really thought much of this until recently, when Mom told me some galleries wouldn't exhibit Dad's work because of the subject matter. It was only then that I realized that my experieces with the human body were not normal.

Alright, back to Crossfit. I've got a quesiton for the anyone who's reading this. I tend to try to do the WOD's as perscribed, this has been my approach since day one. However, I recognize that I'm still a xfit newbie, and I usually come in last or near last in these exercises. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Would scaling it down and really nailing the workouts provide better results?

4 comments:

Katie said...

Adam, I know that there is a strong desire to nail workouts and really bust through stuff, but if you can do them as prescribed, I personally would recommend that you continue to do so. Remember that the reason we scale is not to make it easier and scream through workouts. The reason we scale is because we have not yet mastered movements or because we are not yet able to hit them with that weight. As time continues, you will be able to do the "prescribed" version faster and faster, and then you can elevate to the "psycho" realm of things and do the "uber" rx'd stuff. Really, you need to stop worrying about where you are on the board, and start thinking about your weights and YOUR progress. CrossFit is great because it provides us a competitive environment so we can push ourselves, but at the end of the day, our own progress is what's important. So keep working the Rx'd versions, unless you feel pain or are uncomfortable with the movements.

Adam said...

I hear you loud and clear, thanks Katie.

VADRMGRL said...

Adam,
It's inspiring to me to watch you do the workouts as prescribed. I think it shows how dedicated you are to finishing what you start. Sometimes I'm too nervous to do the workout as RX'd because I know it'll take me a while to complete (and I don't want everyone looking at me). But you always finish, and that's so respectable to me. Keep doing what you're doing. Not only is it beneficial for you, but for those who watch you as well.

Adam said...

Robin,

I am truly touched by your words. Thank you. If you ever want to go Rx'd and take your time, I'll be there working out as well, so you won't be alone. :)