Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Intro to crossover pushups

Check out the video at 1:30 for a demonstration on how to do crossover push ups, Danny's form is perfect.

Have to admit, I thought about making this a rest day. Then I saw the WOD, and I knew I had to show up.
WOD:

50 Abmat Situps

5 rounds
8 pullups
8 crossover pushups

Run 800 meters

40 Abmat Situps

4 rounds
8 pullups
8 crossover pushups

Run 800 meters

3 rounds
8 pullups
8 crossover pushups

My time was 39:00 even. I have mixed feelings about my performance, and will address each exercise independently.


Pullups: I started off trying Danny's kip, and after watching the video I have a loooong way to go, but I feel like I am getting there and I'll have it figured out soon. After a couple tries though, I went back to the normal kip. Using the standard kip, pullups are actually pretty easy now; they just hurt my hands. I mean, I probably spent like 4 min just trying to get a comfortable grip. I don't have a torn callus, but that area of my hand is very tender, and gripping the bar just hurts. Are pull-ups supposed to kill your hands, or is there some type of hand maintenance I'm missing? I shave my calluses, perhaps my hand just hasn't recovered from those brutal tears I got a few weeks ago.

Ab-mat: My speed is getting better now that my technique is better, the last thirty was unbroken, and for me that was a big deal. I'm starting to realize how weak my abs are with regards to endurance. I keep finding myself sitting or standing without engaging my abs at all. It's something I've always had trouble with this, but I hope xfit will help me out in this department.

Crossover Pushups: Never done these before, and they are tough, just like regular pushups. My technique wasn't very good, my strength just isn't there. However, I do feel like it's getting better. It seemed like after doing 15 pushups I couldn't do more than two at a time. Now i feel like it's 20.

800 m Run: This was a tricky one. I by myself most of the time, so it was difficult for me to really push. Near the end, however, Brenda came up from behind and reminded me that I should really push myself.

Mental: I feel like the first part of this wod I was approaching as an oppertunity to work on my technique, trying to be like Danny and all ;), but this also made be a little slower. To be perfectly honest with myself I think I went in thinking this was going to be difficult, and that made it so. The second half of the wod things got a lot better. I just started telling myself to suck it up and do it, and things started to pick up from there. I don't know why I can't bring this to the table more often, but when I do it is a great feeling. Hopefully now that I'm more aware of it I'll be able to push myself farther and harder. Unlike most crossfitters (at least the vocal ones) I'm not a competitive person in the sense of trying to beat other people, so I need to find my motivation eleswhere. I think I've got a couple of ideas/experiences to draw upon, we'll see how this works out.

So all in all: my technique is improving but still has a way to go, my endurance seems to be picking up a little as well, and I need to get a better mental gameplan.

1 comment:

lin.k said...

"Suck it up" is good. But what truly works is talking shit to yourself, since you already know your sore spots. That's what I do. And then I go home and cry.