Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hand maintenence, implimented

Part one: The Equipment
Alright, just went out and bought some tools that I was lacking (from left to right): Callus Shaver, Pumice Stone, Tape, and Liquid Bandage. In addition I have lotion for the hydration and salt (ugh) for the treatment. I should also get a pair of manicure scissors, I forgot this time around.

Part two: The Hands

Behold the ripped calluses! Never had these rip, usually it's my other hand that's the problem. I can tell the one in the middle will be trouble, as it's a partial tear.

Part Three: The Treatment

The partial tear is where the scissors would have been helpful, I used a small nail clipper instead. As per Crossfit Athen's advice, I soaked the raw skin in salt water. Soaking the hand in salt wasn't as painful as I expected, need I remind you salt was number one on my painful experiences. Then applied the Neosporane, followed by a band-aid.

Part Four: Maintenance

Now to work on the non-torn calluses. Afraid of the shaver, I instead went for the pumice stone after a good soak. After scrubbing my hands for a while, not a whole lot happened, so I went for the shaver. Thing reminds me of a cheese server you see at parties. Shaved a VERY small amount off, then went back to the pumice. After all of that, I put on some real thick cream, like aquaphor.

Part Five: Prevention

I plan to apply the liquid bandage and then maybe tape up, that'll be a game-time decision. Fyi THE place to learn how to tape up is here at crossfitvirtuousity, the tape grip he teaches is the type that won't bunch up in your hand.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

An old gymnast's trick (and trust me gymnasts know ripped calouses, imagine your hands times about a hundred- known in the biz as "potato chip rip")... when you get a rip, cut the flap of skin off and soak a tea bag in warm-hot water just to get the juices flowing, then hold the tea bag on your rip. It burns like a mofo for the first minute and it stains your rip brown, but it dries it out and forms a protective barrier. Works wonders. Hurts, but works. Not unlike crossfit...

Adam said...

Interesting idea to use Tea instead of salt. Think I'll try that out next time I go to the grocery store.