Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Zone Grocery list 2.0

Alright, here is a week's worth of meals if you're on the 4-4-2-4-2 plan.

Breakfast, Oatmeal:
1 cup of oatmeal cooked
1 Tsp of protein powder
.5 cup of grapes
3/4 cup of cottage cheese
2 tsp of Walnuts

Lunch, Deli Sandwich:
2 slices of bread
4.5 Oz. of Deli meat
2 Oz. of cheese
5 Tbs avocado (I use half of an avocado)

Snack:
1 Apple
2 Oz Cheese
12 peanuts

Dinner A, Smoothie:
2 cups of milk
2 Tbs protein powder
1 Cup Frozen Strawberries
.5 Cup Frozen Blueberries
1 Large scoop of Cashews

Dinner B, Chili (3 servings):
Saute:
2/3 Chopped Onion
2 Chopped Green Pepper with Crushed red pepper
Add:
18 Oz ground meat until browned
Add:
2 Cup Tomato Sauce
1 Cup Black Bean
1 Cup Kidney bean
40 Olives

Snack #2 A:
1 Cup Yogurt
sprinkle of pecans

Snack #2 B:
.5 Cup Cottage Cheese
1 Cup Pineapple
12 Peanuts

To avoid boredom I alternate the dinners and the second snacks, except I have the smoothie every Friday and Saturday.

Now the for the grocery list. I've converted the inconvenient measurements (6.75 cups of Cottage Cheese? How much is that?!?!?) to units easier to shop for.

Milk 1/2 gal
Protein *I buy in bulk
Frozen Strawberries 2.5 bags
Frozen Blueberries 1 bag
cashews 1 can
Oatmeal 1 small container

Grapes 1 bag
Cottage Cheese 2 large containers, 1 small one
Walnuts 1 can
Bread 1 loaf
Apple 7
Deli Meat order 2 lbs at the counter
Cheese 4 containers of Sargento cheese
Avacado 3 avacados
Ground Meat 1 lb
Onion 1
Olives 1 large can
Pineapple 2 cans
Peanuts 1 container
Yogurt 2 large containers
Pecans 1 can
Green Peppers 2
Tomato Sauce 2 cans
Black Bean 1 can
Kidney Bean 1 can

Hope this helps those looking for a set list, I thought this might be easier than the excel file I made available earlier.

To report in, it's been 15 days since my last non-zone meal and about eight days since I've switched to the 4-4-2-4-2 plan, and I find myself being less and less hungry. And, to answer your question Katie, I've tried on my pair of jeans that have always been borderline tight and I've found them a little looser than ever before. I still haven't lost any weight, but I really don't care since I figure I'm gaining muscle right now. I know I've posted this zone grocery list a couple of times and I apologize if it's gotten repetitive, I think this'll be the last incarnation for a while.

7 comments:

Katie said...

YAAAAAAAYYYY! I told you that clothes don't lie! :) Now we just need to work on getting you out of those pants... ;)

I kid I kid! Oh dear... I'm certainly being saucy today... :P

Adam said...

*blushes* I'd also like to mention that today I had to tighten up my belt another notch today, so my pants wouldn't fall down....

Katie said...

Adam, try not to take me too seriously... I like to kid. I hope I didn't upset your girlfriend.

Anyhoo... the pants thing is great news! The scales can fluctuate depending on some many variables. Did you drink water this morning? Did you eat late last night? When was the last time you went to the bathroom? It's all so fickle. I use the clothes as a more solid measure of progress because, as much as we like to pretend that sometimes they change on us, truth is they don't. A 32" waist, is a 32" waist. It's not going to go anywhere. Just make sure if you do the pants test again, that you use the same pair of pants. Different styles and cuts do fit differently... that is true, and also intentional.

So, I hope after the pants, and the belt today (another big yay!) you feel that your Zoning has not been in vain, and you feel vindicated (is that the right word?) and you continue with it so you can progress. :)

As it so happens, one of my good friends back home has a favorite word... it's PANTS! :)

Adam said...

No worries, I just wasn't really sure how to respond to such a comment. As some one who used to wrestle, I understand weight and all the factors that go into it. And frankly I don't care if I actually lose weight. Hell, if I start to see weight gain I'll just see that as a sign of me gaining muscle. Because there that would be the only explanation, given what I eat. I guess I was frustrated because I'm told I should be seeing weight loss, and I'm not seeing that.

Adrienne said...

nice list Adam! This is pretty awesome. Bummer I can't use this for my blocks. Maybe I can tweek and steal.

Sweet!

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post but lists and recipies like this one make transitioning to the zone a lot easier. I wish more ppl would share information just like this.

Adam said...

Hey Anonymous, this might be an old post but it is one of the most popular posts I've ever written. ...I know it's not very paleo, but like you said it's a way to start. Thank you for your comment.