Friday, July 25, 2008

Moving Mountains

Today is kind of a jumbled mess of ideas. I've tried to assemble them into some sort of coherent order; I hope this offers something worthwhile for the reader.

Before crossfit, I saw molding my body into a Spartan as an obstacle, a very large mountain. Not one that I that I necessarily thought impossible to climb, but one where I had no idea where to start. Now having entered the crossfit world, I think I can handle this mountain.

When I’m in the blue room, I’m experiencing a certain peace. This is tricky, but let me try to explain: I enjoy pushing myself; I enjoy working really, really hard because doing so forces me to live in the now, and I feel like I obtain some sort of truth in the process. I’m not saying that if today I did Fran in 30 min the truth is I’m weak, or if I ended up not finishing the truth is I’m a quitter. What I’m saying is in that crossfit demands so much from me that I have no choice but to focus entirely on the moment, to abandon everything that is weighing on my mind so I can handle the task at hand. Problems at work don’t matter, the upcoming trip doesn’t matter, heck, even the exercise I did five seconds ago doesn’t matter. Nothing matters except the push up, box jump, etc., I have to do right now.

"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." ~Confucius

About nine days ago I was talking to Lance (not real name), and when I told him that I thought I could gain entry into the top 5 for 500m row because on 11th I rowed 1:47 he replied with some disbelief, saying something akin to "You do know you would have to drop your time by 12 seconds, right?" I smiled and said I thought I could do it, but truthfully I didn't really know. Well, this Monday I entered the top five with a time of 1:32. Well today I tried it again, and when I was moving that "oar" back and forth I didn't think about Lance, I didn't think about the fact that I've already achieved my goal and entered the top 5, I didn't think about any self-doubt, I didn't think about any of that. It was just me, and that oar. It felt like forever, but it turns out I rowed 500m in 1:28.7, and set a new class record.

I’ve faced and overcome some very large obstacles in my lifetime, and have overcome them by adopting the approach of taking things day by day, constantly asking myself “Regardless of what happened today or what will happen tomorrow, what can I do today?” I've never really been able to apply this to exercise for some odd reason, but now in the crossfit environment I think I've found a way, and it makes me supremely confident that I will transform myself into such a crossfit athlete that even I will be somewhat content. Today, I carried away a medium stone. I fully expect that mountain to be gone before I know it.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Nice job on the PR! Those are a great feeling.

Cara said...

Not nearly as jumbled a mess as you seemed to think - great post! Congrats on the PR!

Adrienne said...

That's incredible Adam! Way to shave off a ton of time on your PR. Keep it up!