Friday, July 18, 2008

Starving while in a resturant.

Last night I went to the premier of Dark Knight, and I even though I just had my 4 block dinner, I was STARVING. I met up with my friends at a restaurant next to the theater. There I was subjected to the smells of hamburgers and other delicious smelling food.

On the 5 block plan, this would barely phase me. The best part about being on the Zone is you don't crave anything. Before, I would be hungry, even if I was still full. I always felt like I was hungry, not for food in general, but something specific, I felt like my stomach was telling me what I needed, I just couldn't figure out what it is. Now I never experience these feelings of full yet hungry. The Zone leaves me wanting nothing and feeling great throughout the day.

Well, at least it used to. Right now on the 4-4-2-4-2 plan, I experience hunger pangs all the time. Ok, back to the restaurant. So there I was, surrounded by delicious hamburgers and chips and fries, and I wanted to cave and eat so badly. But I want to lower my fat % even more. I just kept picturing me reaching my goal, of me looking like a crossfit athlete. Through focusing on my goal and not on my hunger, I could ignore the temptation. I do have to confess that I did end up ordering a diet and rum (I figure since it has 0 carbs it can't be that bad), but I didn't eat anything until after the movie (which was great, btw) when I got home and had my cup of yogurt mixed with peanuts. I feel like I'm bragging here, that no one cares about this, and I apologize if I'm boring you, but if I don't celebrate these little victories by sharing them here I don't know how long I could do this.

So far the scale hasn't noticed anything different (this morning I weighed 198.2 lbs, the most this week), but I feel like I'm starting to look like I'm losing fat. Monitoring my weight has been kind of confusing for me. I mean, muscle weighs more than fat, and I know I'm gaining muscle and strength. So maybe I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, so my weight is staying about the same while my body composition changes. But with Jerry asking me about how much weight I've lost, and really with no way to measure my body fat, I guess I feel like I should look at my weight.

Fran is on the agenda today, and I think I've figured out a game plan for pushing myself through it. I've never done Fran before, but I'm excited to do a benchmark.

6 comments:

Bacon said...

Hey Adam,

If you go to the zone site, and sign up for an acount they have a calculator that you can use to estimate your lean body mass, you just need a tape measure. Or, even without worrying about what the calculator says you should at least be seeing the inches coming off as your body composition changes.

Katie said...

Adam, trust your clothes. I know this sounds funny but they never lie. I told someone else this and they laughed a little, but eventually agreed with me. Scales and tape measures can be faulty. We can have water weight, we can measure the wrong spot. But if you put on a pair of pants that didn't fit before and they suddenly zip, or you put on pants that were snug before and now are loose, you have your answer.

My second question is why no second snack? There should be one inbetween lunch/dinner, and then one after dinner that will help carry you into the morning and to breakfast. Perhaps this might be part of the problem?

Adam said...

Amber, I'll have to check out that calculator, just need to go get a tap measure, thanks for the info.

I like the clothes idea, Katie, I'll have to try to find tight clothes and see if they're still that way.

The lack of a second snack was just a typo, I do have that second snack.

Katie said...

Adam, this may be TMI, but if it helps, it helps.

I started Zoning in the middle of March. When I first started, I did the strict two weeks, and then tried very hard to keep within the parameters. I went to Chicago, had some pizza, fell a little bit off a few times, but stayed true for the most part. To date, I've lost 17 lbs.

I got out my summer clothes back in the middle of May (two months of strong Zone) and discovered that I was able to put on clothes that I purchases when I was 21 (I am now 26). Since then I have zoned for 2 more months, and now some of those are even loose. My weight has gone up and down, but my clothes aren't lying. I think I may actually be ready to soon drop a size (hopefully). So, if it works for me, I think it could work for you... just stick with it.

Adam said...

Def not TMI, thanks for the info. I'm about to go to bed, but tomorrow I'm going to try on my jeans that are always on the cusp of being too tight. I'll let you (and I guess everyone else) know how that goes.

Cara said...

How did the jeans fit?

You should calculate how many Zone blocks you need, because you really shouldn't be that hungry on the Zone! Or - if you're having difficulty, add in more veggies, as you need a ton of veggies just to get 1 block of carbs. That should fill you up.

Keep it up!