Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Espana!!

Well, tomorrow I leave for vacay in Spain, and even though the statement "I'm excited" doesn't even begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to this, I have to admit I feel a little sad/upset that I'm leaving CFOT, even if for only a little while.

I've attended every 5pm class for the past six weeks, and I feel like I've started to become part of the crossfit family, starting to become a regular. On Monday Jerry asked who did Fran. I was one of only two people who had done it, and I have to admit I felt pretty cool.

However, I know that I'll be back, and this time I won't have to start over from scratch again like I did coming back from the rotator cuff tear. After all, it will be for only two weeks, and my physical therapist thinks when I come back my shoulder should be absolutely completely healed. My hip, on the other hand might be a different story.

I haven't talked about my hip because I'm a little tired talking about injuries, but I figure if some one is out there with the same issue this might be informative. Since I was like 20, I've have snapping hip syndrome. When I bring my knee to my chest, and then lower my leg, there's an audible "snap". Occasionally, I've also experienced a throbbing pain in my hip. Since coming here to DC, I've noticed an increase in the pain. Since I was seeing a doc/therapist for the shoulder, I decided to ask about the hip as well. Turns out I have a really tight Iliopsoas tendon, that what I feel snapping. This by itself is harmless, but sometimes repetitive motion can cause inflamation, and that results in tendonitis. This is commonly experience by runners or cyclists. I think mine might be caused by the two miles I walk up/down hill everyday in my commute to work. I'm glad crossfit isn't the source of my pain, but the therapist also says that two weeks off will probably help as well.

I think if I was doing any other type of exercise I would just wait a while when I get back into the states, but the thing I've realized about crossfit is how adaptable it is. Even with tendonitis in the hip, I'm sure there will be reason enough to keep going back to the blue room. I'd like to talk a little more about this, about the injury and what I need to do to recover, but I have to finish packing.

So this may turn into a travel blog for a while. I won't be taking my laptop, but I might use one of the rent-a-computer stations while I'm there.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Have a great time! Send back lots of photos so those of us who are too broke to travel can live vicariously through you! :)

Cara said...

I look forward to seeing your posts from Spain!

Adam said...

I hope to be able to upload photo's from the computers there. If not, when I get back I'm going to alternate crossfit blog entries with Spain entries or something like that.