Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Finding my limits

Today I was exhausted at work, and I almost felt like skipping was a good idea. Thankfully, I did go and I have to say that I feel a hundred times better since working out. Today was exactly what I needed. We worked on deadlifts, and the emphasis was on technique and not weight. Being that my back muscles still haven't recovered from the last time we did them, I was looking forward to learning how to do the deadlift correctly. It also felt good to finally answer one of Jerry's questions, which was "What's your deadlift PR?" Normally, when Jerry asks a question like this, I usually have no answer because, well, I don't know. This is because I've never tried deadlifts before, let alone find my max. I've never tried doing as many pullups or push ups as I can, I've never tried rowing 500 m as fast as I could, you get the idea.

But now, after spending some time in the crossfit world, I'm starting to find my current limits. And as I find my limits, I can then set goals to go beyond those limits. Before crossfit, I don't think I ever knew how to push myself, to find my limit, and that's why I was never really able to progress.

I'd also like to highlight Brenda's workout today, she rocked the blue room by deadlifting... 225! She made it looks easy, and it was inspiring to see her doing such a great job. Also, on Monday she recorded a top 5 500m row time! If you ever read this Debra, congrats!

Anyway, the WOD:
Warm-up
50% of max X 5
60% of max X 5
80% of max X 3
Max X 1

10 rounds or 15 minutes
7 Pull-ups
7 Burpees

Because of the strained back, the max for today was 185. We also worked on ring dips with the deadlifts, and I'm happy to report that I actually did a unassisted ring dip for the first time. I then had to use the floss for sets of five, but I'm more than satisfied with that. Also, I'm happy to say that I got the pull-ups and burpees done in 14:53, just in the nick of time.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Congrats on the ring dip!!