Sunday, July 20, 2008

I've figured out what makes me keep coming back to Crossfit

So I woke up today at 5:00 pm, and let me tell you 14 hours of sleep will cure any muscle soreness.

I have to say what makes crossfit isn't the exercises or diet, it's the people in the community, it really is a brotherhood (btw Katie, Cara, and Adrienne, I use brotherhood to include women, I am think of y'all). One only need to look at the comments to a crossfit blog to see how much crossfitters care for and support each other.

To demonstrate the commodore that is crossfit this blog will give a shoutout to someone in the Old Town community once a week. Who better to start off with than Jerry, who runs the Crossfit Old Town, will be highlighted. Jerry is always pushing us, never letting us give up or take it easy. Yesterday when I was almost done with Fran, when I really wanted to give up I wheezed out that I felt like I was going to throw up, to which Jerry responded, "you can throw up later, after you get these last three chins done." I finished the three chins, and I think I would have felt worse afterwards if I had rested more and hadn't pushed myself to a sub 20 Fran. Jerry expects more out me than sometimes I do, and I think that's a good thing.

The people of crossfit really are what makes it so important to me, and I hope to demonstrate this through this blog.

Just as a heads up, this upcoming week I plan on continue blogging about dealing with the torn rotator cuff (It's still an issue, unfortunately), and rather than post the xls file for Zone groceries I'll just list it here on the blog.

11 comments:

Katie said...

Adam, in my opinion, there is not a single trainer or coach I've ever had that can hold a candle to Jerry. He is certainly what keeps us coming back to CFOT.

Adam said...

I agree. Writing this up was pretty funny, I wanted to talk about how he's a bad-ass, but I kept worrying that I was coming off like I have a man crush on him. Pretty funny if you ask me. Seriously though, Jerry is one best coaches I've had because he walks that balance between tough-love and support.

Cara said...

Hey - there is nothing wrong with having a man-crush! Besides, if you're going to have a man-crush, Jerry is a pretty perfect candidate for it! He is totally bad-ass, and extremely nice and humble, with a huge dose of drive and energy - what more could you ask for? :-)

Katie said...

A man crush huh? I thought only women had those? ;)

BTW is that a recent photo? I haven't seen you recently so I can't tell, but I dig the haircut! :)

Cara said...

Two of my straight (ish?) guy friends totally have man crushes on each other. Nothing wrong with that!

Adam said...

The photo is of me in January with my old short haircut, I should try to find an even more recent photo, with my long locks.

And for the record, there is no man crush, I just wanted to say he's a great coach.

Katie said...

Adam, I wasn't saying you had a man crush... I was just saying I didn't know that men could have them... I thought all the man crushes were left to us women... ;) You have enlightened me on the topic of man crushes... I thank you. :)

As for the hair... I think you should cut it all off like that picture again.... I dig the short look! Not that my opinion is worth a whole lot... :P

Cara said...

Aw Adam, it's okay to admit to a man crush. Don't be shy about it! ;-)

Jerry Hill said...

Adam,
Thanks for the shoutout.

That's what we get when Cara and Katie come to the party...psycho analysis of love, crushes, and feelings...

I love coaching...I'm psyched to do it everyday...all while working with the best darn people on the face of the Earth; CFOT!

Adrienne said...

I don't talk about love.. but I will say that Jerry and the Blue Room certainly carries quite a reputation in the Crossfit community. When I showed up to the Potomac Crossfit workout on Saturday the head coach said a few Old Towners had stopped in to workout, and he wished they had stayed home because we regularly smoke the workouts. He then went on to say what a monster Jerry is. He said he was afraid to turn us away, because he didn't want to face Jerry's wrath.

disclamer: I think I may have misquoted the entire conversation, but this was the general sentiment!

Cara said...

Jerry,

I don't know WHAT you're talking about... Adam was the one who said "man crush". I just ran with it. Wait - was that what you were talking about? ;-)