Sunday, July 13, 2008

Why Crossfit caught my attention

Even though I've attended many crossfit classes, this past week is the first time I've attended Monday through Friday due to holidays and injury (mostly the injury). To commemorate this small achievement, I'm posting the email I sent to Jerry explaining why I wanted to join crossfit. I had sent an email expressing interest in the opening 5p class, and Jerry had responded asking for my exercise background. I kind of felt like I was being interviewed, so I gave an in-depth response explaining why I thought crossfit would be good for me. It might have been overkill, but looking back at it now it's interesting to see. So without further ado, here's a passage of that email I sent Jerry almost three months ago:

I've faithfully attended a gym 3-5 days a week since Junior year of college, but I've never had a goal in mind. That is, until a few months ago. I realized my problem was a lack of focus, lack of a goal. I always waffled between bulking up and slimming down, so neither happened. A few weeks later, I heard about the movie 300, and how all the actors were required to work out together so they all looked alike. I realized that would be my new goal: to look like that. My research led me to finding the now infamous 300 video diary. I thought to myself, "Man, that looks like it would be best/worst thing ever. I want to do that!" I was actually going to contact a trainer at the gym I attend this week about setting up a workout schedule, but yesterday my roommate showed me CrossFit.com. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

And it's not just because I want to be transformed into a Spartan. I feel like the curriculum is more in tune with the nature of the Human body and mind. The body wasn't designed for isolation exercises, it was designed to run and lug large objects around. There are so many muscles that go un-stressed in the gym, and I want to work out my entire body.

As for the mind, it wasn't meant to be worked in isolation either. Some of my fondest memories were with people while exercising. Whether it was with one of my wrestling teammates, a personal trainer, the occasional fraternity brother I'd convince to work out with me, or a classmate, I always enjoyed working out with other people. Although the regularity of a working schedule allows me to attend the gym 5 days a week, I work at the Patent and Trademark Office and it's been impossible to find a work out partner, and I'm finding the gym to be less fun then it used to be. The impression that I get is people in CrossFit develop those friendships, and I want that. I want the total fitness, the focus, and the camaraderie that CrossFit seems to provide.


I have to say, so far crossfit has really lived up to my expectations, and I'm really looking forward to doing this for years to come.


2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Funny you mention the 300 workout. I'm doing it in the gym tomorrow morning. There's no better time than to set your own standard. It'll be my first time completing the workout. I'd love to compare :)

Adam said...

I would love to compare as well, except I know that you'd kick my ass. Seriously though, what exactly is the 300 workout, I've heard so many variations that claim to be the real one, I'd be interested in seeing what it actually is.