Monday, July 21, 2008

Rule #76 No excuses, Play like a Champion!




I don't know why, but today I just couldn't get this slogan from wedding crashers out of my head. Rule #76 was pertinent to today's workout because I feel like I did play like a champion, but not before I had to give an excuse and not play.

Confused? Let me explain. Today's workout involved front squats, and although I felt like my legs were definitely strong enough to do the prescribed weight, my shoulder was not up for the challenge. The second time I cleaned 135 lbs, I felt my shoulder scream at me. I think my technique is still imperfect, and my shoulder confirmed this. This is of course bad news, but I'm happy that I had only a little problem telling myself I needed to back off the weight. And when I told Danny, who was helping me with my technique, he was supportive of the decision as well. Upping the reps while lowering the weight allowed me to work out my legs without hurting my shoulder further.

But here's how I ended up playing like a champion: I took the 500 m row challenge. I've used row machines before, and my build lends itself to being a good rower. The other Friday I did 500 m in 1:43, so I figured I could get 1:30. Well, I actually didn't get it down to 1:30, my legs started to give out on me near the end thanks to the squats. Instead I got it in 1:32!!! Very stoked about this, I'm really happy. I figure in a couple of months I'll have it down to 1:26, thinking about making that my 12 week goal.

Today's work out:


5 rounds untimed
Max front squats (prescribed was 135lbs)
Max weighted strict chins

This is how I did:
Round 1- 10 (135)
5 strict chins
Round 2- 10 (135)
5 chins with 12 lbs
Round 3- 15 (95)
4 chins with 20 lbs
Round 4- 15 (95)
3 chins with 20 lbs
Round 5- 15 (95)
3 chins with 20 lbs

500M: 1:32

100 ab mat sit-ups

2 comments:

Katie said...

Adam, it sounds like that was the right choice for you. I'm glad you listened to your body. In the long run, it will help you recover. Keep up the hard work.

PS-how're the jeans? ;)

Cara said...

1:32? That's awesome! Good job! And way to be smart about the front squats!