Saturday, September 13, 2008

Barbell Work Day

Funny note: Tommy and I were the only men at today's 5pm class, it's great to see that crossfit knows no gender boundries. Friday was a barbell work day, and I'm starting to discover that this is the type of workout that I really like. I believe one reason why I struggle with the WOD's is my technique has a way to go. My pull ups are far from the effortless kip that Danny uses (although I'm starting to get there), I use too much energy/muscle in the negative motion of a push-up (one reason why they slow me down), and I just learned that I move too far forward/up with my ab-mat situps, so that I use other muscles after my abs finish engaging.

However, I seem get barbell work. I think it is because I am a visual thinker. It's extremely easy for me to visualise the movement of the bar and the body positions needed to move the bar in the proper way. Not saying I'm perfect, just saying that I intuitively understand a hang clean more than a pull-up.

Since my technique is relatively better I'm able to have better workouts, and it feels good. Here's the WOD:

Record your 5 highest rounds
You may do as many as you want
Round only counts if you don't put the bar down

3X Mod DL
3X Hang power clean
3X Push jerk
3X Front squat

my top 5 scores went as follows: 95, 125, 135, 145, 150

I think what helped me most was my attitude, I thought it was going to be easy, and that made it easy. Well, not easy per se, but doable. My first attempt with the 150 was pretty brutal, deadlift was fine but trying to shrug the weight was not happening. I waited and rested, and the second attempt was much more doable, although I was surprized with the difficulty of the front squat. I can't wait until I become as strong as people like Danny and Chriss; I've got a 60 lb advantage over Danny yet he almost strict pressed 185, amazing.

1 comment:

Jerry Hill said...

150 is no joke - great work Adam!