Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New PR and finding my least favorite exercise

Today Jerry had us start out with strength exercises, then finish up with a gasser, which was mean.

Warmup:
5 or 6 rounds
55% of max with mod deads 12 - 20 reps
5 to 10 ring dips with rings out

This was the great part of the WOD. My previous pr for ring dips was one, I couldn't even do that one Monday. Today I knocked out 2, then later got 3, then 4, and finally got 5.

With the deadlift, Andrea corrected my form. My upper back was flat, but she suggested that I stick my chest further out, putting a slight arch in my upper back. This seemed to make everything else come together. Danny watched me bang out a set of 15 later, and commented that I nailed them, always a good feeling. I really struggled to keep my core tight thoughout the movement, but I think I did a good job. ...Once again I feel like I have to comment on how unatural it is for me to engage my abs, I've really tried using them more when sitting at work and walking.

Now for the gasser:

3 rounds for time
25 jumping slam balls with 15# ball
run 400m

I've never done jumping slam balls before, and never will be too soon. After working on my legs though deadlife, I now have to take a 15lb ball, jump up in the air with arms stretches up, slam the ball into the ground by squatting, catch the ball on the bounce, and jump back in the air again. My technique wasn't very good, if you actually slam the ball down the resulting bounce will allow you to not squat all the way down. I, on the other hand, couldn't slam the ball into the ground hard enough to get a bounce, causing me to lower myself beyond what one needs to for a front squat. This just killed my legs. It was such a unusual/horrible sensation it was really hard for me to push through it. Then there was the "run". My legs really felt like jello, and I just couldn't figure out how to push myself to take larger/faster steps. I came in with a good attitude, I kept telling myself I could rest later. I think I did about as good as I could, given I had never experienced anything like that.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Slamballs are fun! You get to release all that tension!