Thursday, September 25, 2008

Running Barefoot, or the next best thing

So I'm thinking it's about time to get a new pair of running shoes. After checking out some threads on the crossfit message board, it seems like Pose running is something I'd like to try out. As one sports website states:

The distinguishing characteristic of pose running is that the athlete lands on the mid foot, with the supporting joints flexed at impact, and then uses the hamstring muscles to withdraw the foot from the ground, relying on gravity to propel the runner forward. This style is in clear contrast to the heel-strike method that most runners deploy and which is advocated by some health care professionals.

In pose running, the key is to maximize your effort in removing your support foot from the ground; good training is essential to ensure that you do not over-stride or create excessive vertical oscillation. The runner should fall forwards, changing support from one leg to the other by pulling the foot from the ground, allowing minimum effort and producing minimum braking to this body movement. The idea is to maximize the use of gravity to pull the runner forward.

Here's a reasonably funny video comparing the styles of running, plus some always cool 80's music:

Now I'm not ready to start running barefoot on pavement, so I'm looking at a shoe that will help will help. After checking out a Pose website, my top three choices are:
  1. Vibram Fivefingers KSO
  2. Puma H-street N.C.
  3. Nike Free
From what I can tell, the VFF's are the closest to being barefoot, followed by puma, then Nike. Although I am tempted to get the VFF's, I think it would be wise (and fashionable) for me to get ahold of some Puma's first, and transistion into barefoot or VFF. Going from the cushion of my thick-soled nikes to almost barefoot places a lot of strain on the feet, ankles, and calves as the muscles get used to being worked. It seems to take about two weeks to fully adjust to wearing pose-friendly shoes.

My only issue with the H streets is the largest I've seen them in are 11's, and I tend to run 12-13. Looks like I'll be doing some shopping this weekend.

No comments: