Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Three workouts day

Today was special in that there were not one, not two, but three WOD's!:

WOD#1
3 rounds
60sec max reps Pullups, 30sec rest, (I used ring rows instead)
60sec max double-unders, 30sec rest

WOD#2
Sprint 800 meters for time

WOD#3
3 rounds
60sec max reps of Situps, 30sec rest,
60sec max rep box jump, 30sec rest


my score went like this:
#1
RR: 18, 10, 14
DU: 29, 25, 31
#2
4:35
#3
Situps: 35, 28, 27
BJ: 24, 25, 24

Not surprisingly, my DU's got better with time as the rust came off. Each round I had at least one long stretch of uninterrupted DU's, but I also had a lot of one-and-done's. I need to work on my consistency, but I figure that will only come with practice.

The ring rows were a lot harder than I thought they'd be, my rhomboids seem to be a lot weaker than my lats and traps. However, this is one exercise I know I can do that won't aggravate my shoulder, and clearly I need to work on this movement.

For the 800m sprint, my legs were just not that with it today. Going in I thought I was going to fly by everyone like I did the first round of Monday's workout, given that it was only one round. I had the positive image, but when the time came I had a hard time pushing myself. I don't know why I have such a weak will, I just can't figure out how to push myself and maintain focus without music. Next time I will try to bring the iPod and see how that works out.

The sit up/box jump combo was irritating in that I wasn't really exhausted cardio wise, but I was having issues pushing myself, just like with the run.

I think I need to join some sport, where there is direct competition to get me going. I've thought of doing Jujitsu and swimming. One seems like an injury waiting to happen, the other looks like a distinct possibility, but will be difficult to schedule in.

Whatever the case, I figure I should wait until my hip becomes more normal and ready for action before I start doing two-a-days.

Speaking of, yesterday I saw Olga and this massage was a bit different than the previous ones. It felt different in that there was major improvement in my hip muscles releasing, as well as new muscles were being worked. According to Olga, my hip is like an onion with all kinds of muscles wrapped around it. Like peeling off the skin of an onion, she first works on the outer muscles until they release and feel more relaxed, then moves on to the more internal muscles. Apparently she's getting closer to the center, and yesterday she made significant progress.

My hip still feels odd, but it's no longer painful, thank God. I don't know how long it will take for it to fully recover, but given that this is a chronic situation it'll take quite a while for my hip muscles to relearn how to work.

No comments: