Sunday, January 17, 2010

Back Squat 3 rep max

Last week working on the back squat was about racking the weight properly. Today, I really wanted to work on reaching proper depth. Unlike most people, for me that means not going as far down as I've been doing.

I was somewhat successful, a couple of times I nailed it, but it felt like I was cheating I was going so high. When I did hit proper depth, not three inches below parallel, the weight was easy to put up. However, when I did drop down to three inches below parallel it took all my strength out of me. I got up to 245, hitting 255 once a couple of times.

On the second to last attempt of 255 I hit proper depth the first rep (which is why I hit it) , but on the second rep I went too far down and got stuck. After racking the weight, I thought I was done. I felt tired, and simply had a hard time pushing myself. But as I stood there, I thought about how I need to make each day count. I can't take a day for granted, or mail it in, because I'll never get that day back. Wanting to make today count, to not look back and wish I made another attempt, I got the desire to give it one more try.

I waited a bit, racked the weight again, sucked in a huge breath and thought "shallow squat" and according to Jerry I nailed it. It still feels way too shallow, but obviously I'll take it because it is soooo much easier. On the second rep, I lost the focus and went back to my old habit of too deep and couldn't get back up.

So concerning the back squat, it's partially about my strength, but a lot of it is finding the correct depth. I talked to Jerry about this, and he said that finding the right depth is a life long pursuit. As the weight changes, you have to figure out how low is proper depth. I'm glad I tried it one more time, and I'm happy that 255, when done properly, is fairly easy.

No comments: