Friday, September 4, 2009

Catch up: Tuesday's workout Front Squat Max

Ok so since coming back from vacay it's taking a while to get back into the rhythm with work, xfit, and blogging. So to catch up, Tuesday's workout:

Front squat:
2-2-2-1-1-1

This one was pretty awesome, I've never found my one rep max before, but my 5 rep max is 185.
I attempted 245, but ended up dropping the bar because I went down too quickly. I scaled it down to 225 and had much better results.

Here's some pics from the day:
The Approach: I know it sounds cheesy, but I try to make my approach the same time every time. It helps me get into a rhythm, places me in the zone and helps me focus. I get my grip, assume this position, take three big breaths, and address the bar.

One thing I am very proud of is my technique with the squat. Torn labrum be damned, my martial arts background has helped tremendously with my squat. For example, the picture here shows me driving through the hole, I've got decent elbow position, I'm not leaning forward at all, keeping core tension, and the crease of the hip is just below the patella. I think I see a slight bend in the bar, but that could just be wishful seeing.





There is an issue with balance of strength. With my right hip in pain, it's a little harder to push my right leg, plus my dominant leg is my left leg (although I'm right handed, go figure) so my left leg is stronger than my right. This imbalance in strength is what is causing the left side of the bar to be higher, as my left leg is extending more than my right. Hopefully Yoga (more on that later) will help make my strength more symmetrical, and maybe the prolotherapy will help as well.

All in all it was a good day, I think if I hadn't jumped from 205 to 245 and failed I would have hit some heavier weight. But now that I'm more familiar with my one rep front squat max, my game plan will be much, much better. Perhaps I'll be able to improve my max as much as I've improved my deadlift. That would be nice.

No comments: