Monday, September 14, 2009

Weighted Chin ups, and an MRI/Arthogram of the hip

So today I had my second MRI of my hip, this time with contrast. This time before the MRI they injected liquid into my hip joint. First they shot me up with lidocaine to numb out the area, then they took this very large and faint-inducing syringe and injected it into my hip, guided by fluoroscopy. There was some pain, but it was very brief and the whole process took less then five minutes.

I'm meeting the newest doc, Dr. Wagner, on Wednesday to go over this, and we'll be able to finally have a definite diagnosis and form a game plan. Hopefully it will only take a few treatments of prolotherapy to get me right, I don't want to have to deal with surgery.

I'm also excited about the idea that Dr. Wagner will also be able to help me with my shoulder. However, right now my shoulder is feeling no pain, and every time I push it it responds well. I will continue to be conservative in returning to working out, but I can now add weighted chins to the mix. And with that, today's WOD:

Weighted Chins: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1

I only got up to 58#, I can't find it but I think my max is 63#, but given that I'm just starting to get the shoulder back in the game I'll take it.

It was a good thing that we did chins today, as the doc told me I can't do any hip-related workout like running for 2-3 days. Right now my joint is filled with fluid, and is thus unstable. After I was done with the chins I did some push ups and light hang cleans. Andrea helped me with my push up form. Apparently I let my back bend, and this arch causes all kinds of problems. I think this arch is related to problems I have with my posture, as well as push press. My shoulder is doing so well, I'm going to start re-instituting my grease the groove, and will try to do at least 5 sets of 10 push ups throughout the day.

No comments: