Sunday, September 20, 2009

Saturday wod, this time with Quinton

In preparing to go out to today's wod, Quinton asked if I was going to workout. I told him yes, and that today's workout didn't involve any heavy lifting. He asked if he could come with, and I told him yes. So Quinton got his first taste of crossfit, and it was a five round metcon:

5 rounds,
30 Abmat,
30 Jumping Lunge,
run 400m

I think this was the first time I managed to break the 30 minute barrier for a 5 rounder; did it in 28:39. I was trying hard not to bang my knees with the jumping lunges, and that slowed me down a little.

My running is not that fast, and I keep wondering why. I don't feel like my lungs are burning, and my legs are really burning either. I just can't figure out how to move them faster, now that I'm weighing in over 200#s my legs just feel so much slower. Back when I weighed 175, running didn't really require that much effort muscle-wise, it was always the lungs that gave out first. Now that I'm 30 pounds heavier, things have changed.

Anyway, Quinton had a tough time with this wod, he ended up doing 4 rounds a little over 30 minutes. When he was struggling through his last round, some people were giving him encouragement. I heard him say, "this is my first time you know." To which one supporter said, "Oh my bad, you're built like you've been here for two years!" After wards, he saw Mellisa and LaNette work on handstand push ups, and joined in on the fun. He was able to bang out about five, so he has the strength, but just not the endurance. He did seem very interested, and said that he'll be interested when Jerry comes out with a 2 or 3 times a week plan.

After the workout, Quinton told Jerry, "
Yo! I’m really happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Tae Bo is one of the greatest exercise routines of all time!!!" Jerry, not getting the pop culture reference, made the most plastic smile I've seen and said something like, "Uhh yeah." as he turned back to his laptop. We spent some time explaining the joke and that Quinton wasn't serious.

Quinton was so worn out that he didn't go to his Zuba class.

No comments: