Friday, September 11, 2009

FGB prep, a tribute to those fallen in 9/11

Today we did FGB as a task oriented as opposed to time oriented wod:

Wallball, High Pull, Box Jump, Push Press, Row

Elite: 3 rounds: 40,30,20
Pro: 3 rounds: 35,25,15
Pack: 3 rounds: 30,20,10

Because my legs are still feeling weak, I decided to go with the pack. I think this was refreshingly easy of sorts, I wanted to work on increasing the intensity and keeping mental focus. My time was 25:00 flat, but I know I can do way better, more like 22:00.

I absolutely flew through the box jumps, I found my grove, and I could jump up and down a LOT faster than normal.

The push press was difficult, I still have a hard time not arching my back. Andrea commented this stems from over doing the head-through motion when you try to achieve active shoulder. However, I think I'm making some progress here, and when I finally get it right it will make thrusters oh so much easier and will lower my Fran time significantly.

The row was eh, almost had it down to one stroke a calorie, so like the 10 calories took only 34 seconds.

Wall balls suck. My quads were fried and I had a hard time getting my head back in the game to really push myself on this one.

Concerning the High pulls, I was afraid the 70# would hurt my shoulder so I went light with the 53#. Didn't really have a problem with these, but they weren't fun.

For those of you reading who want to see what it takes to get a great score in FGB, here's a vid of two of some of CFOT's best athletes getting very respectable scores:



Stacey, in the video, is always one of the first to finish. I, on the other hand, am usually one of the last to finish. Around the time FGB came around last year she started coming over to me and doing the workout over again, next to me, in an effort to motivate me.

Today I saw Judy struggling a little bit near the end of her workout, and I saw some of myself in her. So I walked over, grabbed a wall ball, and told her that we were going to finish this together. We finished up the wod (she actually was a lot faster than me on the high pulls, btw) and afterward talked about how difficult this workout can be.

This is, to me, is what we should all strive to do in life: not just achieve success in what we hold dear, but to take that success and help others reach their goals as well.

1 comment:

Jerry Hill said...

good stuff grasshopper!