Monday, August 31, 2009

Thank God I work for the government...

...because my job comes with great insurance. Since starting Xfit I have:
Seen a D.O.: 16 times
Seen an Orthopod/physical therapist: 6 + 5 + 14 + 9 + 1 = 35 times
Seen a Chiropractor: 4 + 4 = 8 times with 9 more needed
Seen Prolotherapist: once, with a lot more on the way
Had an MRI of the hip, with one more on the way, and
about 10 X-rays of the hip

My copay for a dr's visit or a test like an MRI is $30, except for the DO's where I have to pay 25%, the above mentioned tests/visits have cost me about $2070, and 62 hours of therapy and doctor visits. Again, I should point out that my hip and ankle issues were not caused by Crossfit. Rather, they were pre-existing issues that only came to light due to the intense activity level that crossfit requires.

...I find the idea of finally getting to and fixing the root of my pains very exciting. The tear in the rotator cuff resulted in a change in my mechanics, which resulted in the tendonitis. The impingement in my hip resulted in a change in my mechanics that resulted in the hip bursitis. Now that I've addressed the secondary effects of my injuries, I've discovered and can now fix the underlying problems. This will result in real recovery, and the idea of no longer having these issues is exciting.

In addressing my shoulder, I think I might start attending the Alexandria Master swimming class, and do crossfit only 4 times as week, doing a m/w/f/s schedule. I used to be a billy badass in swimming when I was young and before I burned out; perhaps getting back in the water will be good for me.

I'm also very excited about Dr. Wagner fixing my hip, if his treatments require a scaling back of weightlifting, swimming should be good as well.

The should is pain free, and has been for over two weeks now. It really is an amazing feeling, and I can't wait to get back to doing workouts with the shoulder.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Hey! Great to hear that the shoulder is healing! yippe! :) It is very exciting to be pain free. good luck with everything!

Adam said...

Thanks Erin, hope those massages help out for you. ...if your ever looking for a great masseuse in Old town I know one I cane recommend.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Your insurance company probably hates you :)

That's a lot of x-rays. Hopefully you don't get some sort of hip cancer.

Adam said...

Yeah, Aetna is definitely losing money on me.

I've expressed my concern regarding the amount of radiation to the technicians a couple of times, and they all say it's such a small amount that I shouldn't be concerned. I mean, people get x-rays of their teeth all the time for dentists, and you never hear about tooth or jaw cancer.

BlankenBlog said...

Hey! I just found you through google searching for an idea to help me keep up crossfit while resting my shoulder. It HURTS! Can i ask what you did to start getting it pain free after a tear? rehab or what? Thanks! keep up the good work!

Adam said...

after the tear I stopped completely (it happened during my first week of crossfit so just left), rehabbed the tear for about two months, then got sick of not doing anything and got back into the program. There was still some pain, but I ignored it and that's what resulting in my tendonitis.

For the tendonitis, I just stopped doing all the exercises that hurt. I still do crossfit, I just have to sub out push presses with ring rows, or squats, or box jumps, etc, etc.

One of my earlier posts that talk about subbing out exercises: http://youdontknowmefromadam.blogspot.com/2009/08/wonders-of-crossfit-changability.html

There are other posts where I deal with subbing out the exercises, I hip this helps.