Friday, August 21, 2009

Another lift I CAN do, and a med update

Well, I've been focusing more on work lately so I had two rest days, but when I saw that we were working overhead squats i had to pop in:

OHS, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

I got up to 150, which is only a 5 pound increase over what I did last time, but I'll take a PR any day, even if it is a little improvement. The hardest part was definitely keeping my balance, I had a very hard time keeping a steady active shoulder.

I'm very excited that OHS does not hurt my shoulder. Seems that simply keeping active shoulder doesn't hurt the tendonits. Speaking of injuries, today I saw Dr. Wagner about my hip and shoulder. It had to be an abbreviated discussion because I was 20 minutes late, but he said that in order for any treatment for my hip to start, he needs an MRI with contrast to see what's really going on. Since the Labrum is cartilage, thus its density is very similar to the surrounding tissue. This is relevant since the MRI works by illustrating the contrast of materials with different densities, so a material with similar density to the "background" density will be invisible. Contrast is basically any liquid (since most liquids are of a different density than flesh), they inject it into the hip joint. This will highlight the labrum, and if there's a tear the liquid will leak, and the leak will be apparent as well. I guess my first orthopod is used to dealing with old people and their old injuries, and has never dealt with a torn labrum.

Dr. Wagner's ability to help with the shoulder had to be put on hold, but right now I am feeling much, much better in my shoulder and elbow. I've been seeing a chiro for trigger point massage three days a week, and I do self massage all the freakin' time. I even stopped wearing my watch, which weighs .6#s, so as to not irritate my shoulder. I was rolling around on the ground with a softball digging into my scapula (have a real nasty knot there) and I felt the knot "pop". It was awesome. I'm taking the next week off, I should really start to feel good after that.

I never really noticed that my shoulder was giving me SO much trouble, but when I look through my blog I find complaints about shoulder pain over, over, over, over, and over again. This makes me appreciate having a blog, as opposed to a simple workout log.

I will get a second MRI in like two weeks and then I'll see Dr. Wagner on the 18th, then more questions will be answered. I really, really want to be fully recovered by the time the mid-Atlantic hopper rolls around, but I might have to back out if I still can't do anything with my shoulders. ...My health insurance company must lose a LOT of money on me; thank got the government has great insurance.

No comments: