Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Deadlift pull up couplet and dealing with pain

Today would've been a great day to work the chest and shoulders, the WOD Rx'd was:

7 rounds
3 heavy deadlifts (I did 255#s)
5 weighted ring dips
7 L-sit pull ups

I asked Chriss for a sub for the dips, and he said I should just take them out and do the WOD as a couplet. I didn't ask for a sub on the dips because I wasn't sure if pull-ups would agitate my shoulder. Today I asked Dr. Bills if they would, and he responded that I should try it out and if it hurts add that to the list of exercises I can't do.

Unfortunately, on the last round I noticed that all too familiar pain in my shoulder, so I just ended it. I think my time was 25:23, which is pretty sad since I never had to do the dips. I could only bang out the pull ups at around 2 at a time. I don't think I ever found a comfortable width with which to grip the bar. I also noticed on the first inch or so in starting the pull up my left shoulder wanted to move in a rather stange way, different than the right shoulder.

I also had really poor form with the DL. I don't know if my starting position was off or what, but I was using my back a lot. I didn't hurt myself, but I'm disappointed that I couldn't find proper technique.

...whenever I talk about my various injuries I fear that I come across as whiney or complaining, so I try not to talk about it. However, when it becomes a focal point (which, unfortunatly, is often) I then discuss it. I feel like this sometimes gives a somewhat scattered view on my health. So here is my situation and plan:

Right Tennis Elbow: Seeing Dr. Bills who is applying triggerpoint massage and says it should be completely treated in 10-12 treatments. So far I'm on my fourth treatment and it is showing signs of improvement.

Left shoulder Tendonitis: This stems from the partial thickness tear I experienced last year. Dr. Bills is also treating this along with the elbow, also with trigger point massage. I'm also trying to supplement these massages with self-massage. I need a tennis ball, and I'll start doing stuff like this guy:


I'm also looking at getting platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatments, and will meet with that Dr on the 21st. So far the massage therapy is feeling very effective. I've been dealing with pain in my shoulder so constant I stopped noticing it long ago. Now I notice it, and after the treatment I'm in no pain for quite a while.

Left Hip Torn Labrum and impingement: waiting to talk to the PRP guy about treating my hip. I'm also thinking about getting physical therapy on this hip as well, but I don't know how effective it will be, and I really don't want to start paying $60 a week in PT bills again.

Tomorrow I will see the DO and discuss with him these various injuries and see what he can do. ...I think I've graduated from seeing him on a scheduled basis, and might only need to see him every so often if I start feeling some pain in the hip.

I really, really hope that I can find a cure for all of this pain I experience. Not a day goes by that my hip and shoulder ache or throb, and imagining living without pain just sounds like an idea that is so tempting I don't trust it. I catch myself getting excited at the idea that PRP could be the cure for all my ills, but I have to remind myself that there is a chance that it might not work, that I might have to deal with this pain a little while longer.

When I was talking to Kristin about this, she commented, "Perhaps you should stop Crossfit, it is very intense and I don't like seeing you in pain like this." There have been times lately where crossfitting isn't as appealing as it used to be, and these feelings almost all stem from my injuries. However, I don't think Crossfit really caused them, rather they were there before hand, and crossfitting has brought these problems to light.

I think some people might have just given up; some people would have decided that the pain, dealing with the pain, and treating the pain is just not worth it. But I feel that if I can get to a place where the tendonitis goes away, and the impingement in my hip is fixed, I should be poised to really become a crossfitter. I could become some one who can do hand stand push ups, who can bang out 10 muscle ups, who can do more than 25 push ups. I've seen some tremendous gains in my leg strength, and if I could figure out a way to get that with my upper body, I'd be set. I feel like this goal is worthy of whatever it takes. This is why I'm willing to see all kinds of doctors, and spend all kinds of money on medical bills (even though I do have very good insurance).

I have been very faithful to the zone, I don't drink, and I do an ok job at getting a eight hours asleep. Yet, I've alsways felt that I should be in a better place then where I'm currently at. I think part of this is from my shoulder tendonitis. Because of this condition, burbees, pushups, dips, and muscle ups are all things that I can't really improve upon. First, I have to treat this condition and then I can move on and become the athelete I crave to be.

So in the meantime, I've come to terms with the fact that right now I pretty much can't do any upper body work, and might have to wait a very long time until I can. But there will be a time when I can push my upper body, and it will be ever so sweet.

2 comments:

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

Adam,

You said "I should be poised to really become a crossfitter".

I just wanted to say that you already are a crossfitter.

We all are different and that is what makes CrossFit so great. We are all different but we can all strive for the best results.

This morning the coach scaled me down on a WOD before we even started. I have been doing this stuff for over a year and I was really shocked with his scaling my workout but he knew what he was talking about. I still did the WOD to the best of my abilities and I am a Crossfitter, just like you.

Stay strong,

Terry

Adam said...

Terry,

Thanks for the kind words, I greatly appreciate them.

I think I could have chosen better words when I wrote "become a crossfitter".

I meant I would be able to do every workout Rx'd, no matter what exercise it includes, hspu, mu, you name it. If I could do that, then I think I would be a crossfitter who would able to crossfit rx'd.

Again, thanks for the comment. ...Perhaps some day I'll get my Fran time down to yours!!