Sunday, April 19, 2009

"Life is like a dream"

Thursday was a scheduled rest day, and even if it wasn't I think I needed to rest the shoulder. By the time Friday came along, it still hurt, but the pain was so dull and so subtle that I decided the WOD wouldn't set anything off:

10 rounds
1 min row as far as you can
2 min rest

My distances were 277 287 283 295 303 285 292 288 278 297. Today was a day for me to focus on my technique, because even though I've done very well with the row machine, these results were achieved with extreme intensity but horrible form. Basically I relied entirely on my traps and lats, not my legs.

Now I'm trying to use extreme intensity with good form. Thinking of the stroke as a deadlift has helped a lot. I also try to reset my arms first, so that as soon as my legs/torso are in the right position I explode back. However, I didn't realize there was something negatively affecting my stroke until the very last set: foot strap placement. When my feet are resting too high (and they were) I can't reset as much as I should. Because my feet are higher up, I can't bend my knee very much without my heel coming off the foot plate. Being that one needs to push from the heels to generate real power, so I couldn't explode as much as I wanted to. I realized this right before my last set, and the adjustment made a 19m improvement from my previous set.

On a different note, Friday was Jen's last day here at CFOT. She's leaving since she's moving because of work. I feel confident in saying all of us here at CFOT will miss you, make sure to stop by if you ever come back to DC!

No comments: