Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Max Power clean effort

I got excited when I saw today's workout:

Power Clean
1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Sure I'm sore everywhere, but the clean is a lift I want to get great at. Having learned a lot about the lift at the Oly cert, I was eager to practice what I had learned. However, I was cautious because of my back, I still don't trust it completely. So I took today as an opportunity to try to coach some, and I hope I did more help than hurt.

Here's a great example of a power clean: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/cfj-nov-05/power-clean.wmv

I'm still "slow-elbows" Adam, the bar hits me in the chest, and I have to push it up into the rack posistion. This is because I'm not getting under the bar, and I don't know why. I mean, I get the "third pull" in the snatch, but for some reason it's tough with the clean.

I over-warmed up with testing the back, but I managed:

135 165 175 185 185

Afterwards I tried the split clean. For some reason, with my split clean I get under the bar much, much faster. Perhaps next time we do this I'll try the split for the whole time. After this workout I was done, my shoulders and chest were numb with effort. Oh yeah, that's right: on the first 185 Danny noticed that my arms were bent even during the first pull. I tried 185 again with straight arms, and I could tell that it was much better. I also seem to push off the balls of my feet, but that fix didn't seem to come as easily.

No comments: