Saturday, April 4, 2009

First Friday of the month, Kelly

So it was pick your own workout day, and a good friend of mine, Taylor, came to town to visit, so I wanted him to have a taste of crossfit. Since this was his first time, he got to do a modified Kelly:

5 rounds for time
  • Row 500 meters
  • 30 box jump, 24 inch box
  • 30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
Taylor forgot to pack his workout shoes, so we subbed out the 400m run with a 500m row. Watching a friend do his first crossfit workout can be entertaining. For example, in the first round Taylor didn't actually count out 30 wall balls (probably did like 20) because he didn't "think it was that important". Taylor also waited for me once or twice, because he didn't realize the importance of trying to finish asap.

Now Taylor is waaay stronger than me, at least in upper body. So I was hoping my conditioning would help me win. Jerry wanted me to represent CFOT, and so did I. Well, it came down the last set of wall balls. Keturah was cheering taylor on, and he was breaking them up pretty badly. I just kept telling myself that this was the last round, and at rep 15 I passed him, and then I just hammered the last reps out, beating him by two seconds. ...Taylor said he thought he was still ten ahead, so he didn't feel the urgency to finish up, again a rookie mistake.

Later at the social, I pushed him to try to find his one rep pull up max. I got him up to 63, but then he got self concious and stopped. ....Now he really wishes he had tried heavier weight, but I guess he'll have to wait.

No comments: