Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nate, of sorts

well, today's WOD was Nate, but given that I can only do one of the three exercises involved in Nate, I chose the alternative.

Jerry was nice, in that instead of subbing 4 ring dips and pullups for 1 muscle up he required three for one. Also, he asked that we do strict shoulder dumbbell press until fatigue instead of hand stand push ups. So my workout looked like this:

6 ring dips
6 pull ups
db until fatigue
8 kb swings at 70#

I think this might have been the first time I've worked out with 70# kb, but it was the leas tof my concern. Using such high weight really forced me to focus on my swing form. I noticed I sometimes used my hips in a upward motion, which I corrected to a straight forward hip explosion and that made the exercise a lot easier.

The ring dips were difficult, as usual. The pull ups I originally tried chest to bar, but as the rounds progressed I started to just do chin above bar. I was surprised how quickly my db strength went away. I used 35#'s, first time it was like 12, then 8, then 5, then something like 8 again.

Yeah, I only managed to get 4 rounds in 20 minutes. Personally, I can't beleive it's that low, and I must have missed a round. However, I really can't remeber a fifth round, so for the record it's 4. ...This just seems really, really slow and weak. I can't wait for the day I can do a handstand pushup, or a muscle up for that matter.

I tried a couple of jumping muscleups afterwards, but I think my arms were fried. When I tried my second one, my arms came out, and you have to keep them as close to your body as possible. I figured that I was just tired, so I called it quits. I can't figure out why, but I feel like I should be stronger than I am.

No comments: