Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Muscle up primer

So the workouts definitely seem to be still pointing to muscle up preparation. Lots of pull ups, lots of ring dips/push ups/burbees. Today's WOD:

For time:
21 pull ups, 21 burpees, 100ft lunge
18 pull ups, 18 burpees, 100ft lunge
15 pull ups, 15 burpees, 100ft lunge
12 pull ups, 12 burpees, 100ft lunge
9 pull ups, 9 burpees, 100ft lunge
6 pull ups, 6 burpees, 100ft lunge
3 pull ups, 3 burpees, 100ft lunge

This one was tough, and I tried it with a 12# vest. I figured the pull ups were getting easy enough to warrent the extra work, and burbees will never be easy so that's irrelevant. However, my left arm started to really give out on me, making burpees and the PU's tough. At first I thought it was just my arms being tired. However, after finishing the 12 set of PU's I realized my left arm wasn't experiencing the good-working-really-hard-pain. It was the ok-I've-hurt-my-shoulder-and-now-it's-numb pain. I'm afraid I've aggravated my rotator cuff muscle, which I tore last may. My guess is all of these muscle up attempts aggrivated the tear, and today's workout just increased the inflamation.

I quickly went home and took advil, followed my 20 min of ice, then waited an hour, then iced again for 20 min, repeat. Now my shoulder still hurts, but to a much, much lesser degree. I guess I'll just have to baby it for a while, perhaps a week, and see if it improves.

Once again there is an initial reaction of frustration, but I know that nothing good will come of trying to push myself now. I just have to be patient and wait. I know the time will come when I will be able to do multiple muscle ups. I just have to continue to believe in myself, and trust me, I have that in spades.

No comments: