Sunday, June 21, 2009

5k sunday

In an effort to help lower my blood pressure, I ran a 5k today. Although I didn't have a watch, I used the songs on my iPod to figure out how long everything took. My first mile was a tick under 8 min, and it took me a total of 22:22, give or take a minute I suppose.

This is about 4:20 less then the last time I ran a 5k. If there is any accuracy in this, I attribute the improvement to my use of an iPod. Chriss disapproves them because he believes it distracts one from the exercise at hand, but for me, at least, it seems to help me focus. While listening to music, it energizes me and reminds me to keep pushing. My mind wanders a lot when I don't have music to listen to, but when I'm running with a soundtrack I can keep up a much faster pace, I have a better ability to tell my body to shut up, and keep pushing.

I'm tempted to try the iPod again with another met-con workout, should be interesting to see what will happen.

No comments: