Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Biting off more than I can chew

Today was a barbell complex:

7 deadlift
5 hang power clean
3 front squat
1 jerk

This was a rough day. Allergies, lack of sleep, bla bla bla, for whatever reason today I was having a tough time bringin' it. Anyway, I warmed up with 95#, and then went with 135 and banged it out pretty easily.

Then came the trouble.

I decided to add on some 15's. I didn't really stop to think I was now attempting 165, and when I went to do the cleans I totally dropped it. I decided to get going, to see if I could do it. Well that was another mistake. Today my shoulders were useless, and I was having a really, really hard time keeping my core tight. I just felt exhausted the whole time. I eventually stopped when I was attempting the front squat for the third time and felt my back go. ...Keep in mind this is my second set. I just called it a day and went home.

I had debated whether to come in earlier today, and while I don't regret it I think I'll take this as a lesson to listen to my body and know when to push and know when to recover.

No comments: