Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fran, with another PR

I was totally shocked to see we were doing Fran on Monday. My mental preparation was pretty limited, I just had faith that today I would finish Fran in less time then I had before. I feel like I'm a lot stronger than I was three months ago, and 95#'s for thrusters didn't sound that hard. After all, I really didn't have a problem with a scaled DT and that was 125#'s. So I got the bar ready, picked out my pullup bar, warmed up a little, and hit it.

I managed to lower my Fran by 1:38, from 10:52 to 9:17. Albeit it's a substantial improvement, I was actually disappointed with my time. I thought for sure I'd get a sub 9 fran, maybe sub 8. However, my hip was fairly sore from the adjustment from the DO, and descending to the full squat took a lot out of me.

Actually, thrusters always take a lot out of me. I was breathing really, really hard after doing the first 15 unbroken. This time I never really did a smooth thruster. I rested in the rack position to breathe with pretty much every rep. I was breathing hard after like the first six, but that's expected. I was also a little unhappy with my performance on the pull up bar. However, like I said, I was able to lower my Fran time by quite a bit.

It is very strange though. While I should be happy with the improvement I've made, when I looked up and saw my time I just did a mental shrug. I expected myself to do a lot better, and I felt like I should've been able to get a sub 8 Fran. I mean, Fran is the ultimate benchmark, and I have one of the slowest times in the gym. Today I don't know if it was my mental game or my physical game that hindered me. I had a positive attitude, but I was surprised by how difficult everything was.

Regardless, I'm one step closwer to getting a sub 5 Fran.

2 comments:

Sean said...

I think it's a safe bet when I say that "Fran" & I do NOT get along.

In fact - I hate her.

Adam said...

Fran is a tough one, always has and always will be. I just plan on Fran being tough on me while I get her in sub 5 min.