Friday, February 27, 2009

strong workout

Well, today's WOD had to be modified for me, but it was still good.

3 rounds
5 Muscle ups (I did progressions)
10 box jumps

2 rounds
15 HSPU (I used an abmat and two weight plates)
20 HEAVY KBHP (I did 20# med ball squat cleans)

1 round
25 pull-ups
30 burpees

Time was something like 19:28, pretty slow, and it can get a little frustrating. However, the burbees at the end were tough in a mental way, and it's been a while since I've experienced/enjoyed that. At around 20 I decided to rest for a couple of seconds, then try to bang out 5 as fast as possible, repeat.

It's been a long time since the HSPU, but I like having the abmats to gauge my ability. And I have to say, I feel pretty weak in the shoulders. However, some of them were free standing HSPU, so I'm happy about that.

I've only worked on muscle ups once before, so this was the first time to try progressions instead of jumping MU's. I really want to work out this and HSPU, so I think I'll start doing them on my own before or after the WOD.

Was talking to Andrea about her MU attempts, and she mentioned she has small hands and thus has weak forearms. ...I have small hands relative to my size, so perhaps this is why my forearms die so quickly with pull ups. I'm getting used to the fixed bar technique-wise (though I still want to do the butterfly kip someday) but my hands still tire out after about 5 pus. Pretty sad for someone who could do 27 pu's in the blue room.

My back feels fine, I'm glad I've been taking it easy. However, I'm tired of missing more than one class a week. I want to get back into the groove, where I xfit 5-6 days a week.

No comments: