Saturday, February 7, 2009

Physical therapy Thursday was pretty good, I was sore from all the exercising I've been doing, but it felt like I'm getting stronger with regards to the full range of motion. Monday I noticed that the first six inches of a calf raise were relatively easy, but it was that last two inches I couldn't do with the left, while I can easily do it with the right. So while my left seems strong enough for everyday activities (walking, climbing stairs, etc.) it's not strong enough when it's really pushed, like running wearing vibram five fingers or box jumps.

Anyway, yesterday I noticed a slight improvement (or am I just imagining it?) with those last two inches of a calf raise. It was still difficult, almost impossible, but when I tried to fully point my toe, my ankle didn't suddenly collapse like it did on Monday. Yay for progress. Here's the exercise routine they currently have me do:

warm up on bike for 5 min
3 x 10 leg press with left leg only @ 160#
3 X 10 calf press @ 100#
Stretch calf
3 X 10 calf raises
2 X 10 rounds on a BAPS board
2 X 10 one legged ball squats
10 min stic therapy (think that's what it's called, help me out Danny)

Doing leg press reminded me of when I could leg press 600# ten times easily. That's pretty strong, so why is my front squat max three rep max 185? I mean, that's less then a third of my leg press workout, not even my max. Why? I'll tell you why, it's because leg press isolates the leg muscles, they take the core completely out of the equation. As I try out old exercises in the PTO gym after riding the bike, they are so much easier, and not just because I'm stronger; they're easier because I engage the core when I lift.

Before Crossfit I didn't understand how to engage the core, I thought I needed to only focus on one, maybe two muscles (e.g. pecs for bench press). Now that I keep my core tight when I exert effort, everything is just so much... easier.

Speaking of the core, I decided to see a great massage therapist on Thursday as well for my back. The pain has been downgraded to "mild discomfort". I'm really not in pain anymore, but I can tell that I'm still not right. The masseuse, Jette, was awesome, she explained to me that my pain would indicate an injury to one of the four abdominal muscles, particularly the obliques.

While giving the massage, she suggested I work on posture and my core muscles. I told her about how I'm working on it. She also mentioned that my pelvis is really out of whack, so good thing I'm going to the DO soon.

All signs seem to point to how important it is for me to continue working on my posture and engaging my core. Thank goodness I found crossfit.

...If I experience no pain on Monday, I plan on getting back to crossfit.

No comments: