Monday, February 23, 2009

rowing and sledge

Well, today was a row day:

2k row

I did it in 723.7, but I could have done it faster if I wasn't trying to improve my technique. When it came down to the last 100m, I had a choice: either to keep going using the new and more correct technique, or should I use my older, faster technique? I decided to use the faster technique, and although it is suppose to be less efficient (I bend my knees too much when moving the seat forward, causing me to use my calves and other weird muscles) my 500m rate went from 1:55 to 1:41-1:43. This was interesting because it wasn't a matter of endurance for me because I had juice at the end to sprint.

Did some sledge work afterwards, this was the first time we've had the opportunity to use this exercise and I loved it. Jerry seemed quite impressed with my aggresion, guess all that martial arts training helped out. Here's an animated gif of the exercise, have to say I think I look a little... crazy.

sledge crossfit

The back felt ok the whole time, but now it feels like it's been working, so I might have to lighten everything up again. Ugh. Oh well, if this is what it takes to get better, then this is what I have to do. Not sure if I will go in to CFOT tomorrow or if I will hit the bike or run for a bit, this will have to be a game time decision.

Think I should make a list of exercises I know don't make my back feel worse, this will probably be short but here goes:
sit ups
pull ups
box jumps
air squats
push ups
running
knees 2 elbows
jump rope
burpees

4 comments:

Jerry Hill said...

Love the gif, how did you do it?

You sure about box jumps?

Be sure to report in to your CFOT coach so we can remember to modify your wod!

Great Sledge Strikes!

Adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam said...

I made the gif with www.gifninja.com

I don't think box jumps have aggravated my back, but I can take them off the list.

I'll make sure to get to class early so I can talk to the coach and give him/her time to come up with something.

Thanks Jerry! It was fun!!!

Anonymous said...

FWIW Adam, you have more exercises in your "can do" list than most Americans will do all year. And you certainly have enough to make your own WOD and a doozy of a metcon at that.

Kudos to you for listening to your doc, your coach and your back.