Monday, November 17, 2008

max squat

Today's WOD didn't take much time, but I was really pleased with today's performance.

3 rounds
Heavy squat 5 reps

135, 155, 160#

Simple, so I really wanted to give it my all. This was a great workout with regards to pushing through. My leg muscles are definitely my most developed, so I have the most control over them. When I went down for my last rep at 160, I could feel my quads and hamstrings straining, contracting into a ball. I was breathing out the whole time, so my core was tight, and I just... I don't know how to say it, I had the ability, the connection, to my leg muscles that allowed me to say, "push harder." They responded accordingly. This is an improvement from my last max attempt, where I squatted 150 3 times on 9/13. I'm not sure if this is a big improvement for two months, but I'll take it.

All in all it was, as I felt it, a very tough effort. I later told Danny that I had to really push for it, and he responded with "Really? It didn't look like it." Of course, that makes me wonder how much I should go for next time.

the three sets took all of 12 minutes, so afterwords I started messing around with L pull ups. On my first attempt on the bar I got like 6, then I think 6, then 4. I then banged a few out on the rope. I saw Danny grip a 14 pound med ball with his ankles, get to the L, and then do a pull up. I tried it, and managed to get one on my first attempt, then two on the second. Danny and I then came up with a game of cath, where we would face each other, hang on the bars, and then toss the ball with our feet. It was pretty funny. ...So it seems that I've found another favorite exercise, L pull ups.

No comments: