Saturday, February 27, 2010

threshold workout: Rowing

So Friday was labeled threshold training.

3 Rounds
3min row (max meters),
1 min rest

This was not pleasant, but rowing is something I'm good at, so I looked forward to doing well. I can't remember my distances exactly, but they went something like 832, 794, and 802.

During the last round, I decided that at the last 20 seconds I really would give it my all. When it hit, I managed to get my speed down to 1:26/500m and I managed to hold it there. Glad I'm starting to form some sort of game plan, hopefully will get better.

I think my proudest moment, however, was helping Gavin on his last round in the next class. I sauntered over when he had about 30 seconds left, and I motivated him by talking to him how I would motivate/ talk to myself.

Make this count, you only have 30 seconds

After this you will be done, no more rowing

All you have is 20 seconds

You have to make this time count,

It's all you've got

You need to make this count.

And he was done, both time-wise and physical-wise. When he was able to, he thanked me and told me I should do that more often. To be honest, I really want to someday. When he was done with his first Fran, Patrick told me my motivating took 2 minutes off his time. During FGB prep I really Judy push through the hell that is wall balls. While I feel like I still have much to learn when it comes to technical coaching, I really do enjoy, and seem fairly good at, motivating people at times. I recognize that sometimes I fall flat, all I have to offer is a couple claps and a "come on ___". But when I figure out what to say, damn it feels good.

No comments: