Saturday, February 20, 2010

This was a great met-con:

5 rounds
15 Push Press (@100#s)
30 Situps,
45 Double-unders


I came in very late, but thankfully the beginning of class was dedicated to teaching the push press, so I was able to start with everyone else, albeit my warm up was a bit short.

For the push press I made it a point to keep a tight core, that I not allow that arch in my back. This slowed me down a bit because it took a lot out of me. I thought about reducing the weight, but I started at 100 so I figured I was stuck with it. I felt somewhat successful in keeping the stomach tight, still felt some of that back arch, but nothing like what I have felt before. I also became aware of the proper depth for the dip right before I drove the bar up over my head. I sometimes like to go lower than is optimal, thinking that the more I use my legs the stronger I will be, since my legs are so much stronger than my arms. However, there is a point where it becomes inefficient, and I think I found that point where instead of diiiiiip-drive it was dip-DRIVE.

Sit-ups are pretty easy, being able to use my hip flexors to help me up feels like cheating it is so easy.

Double unders. Ah double unders. It's a slow process, but I'm slowing finding the proper place for my hands and finding the right rhythm. I could bust out a set of like 14, but then would have three misses in trying to start up again. I still feel the rope brush against my left side, but it's now not bad enough that it stops the rope.

During the fourth round, I was kind of struggling. I searched within myself for motivation, and I found such a strong reason to push myself that I was caught off guard. The reason was simply the fact that I was alive. I am alive, so I have the awesome ability to experience life, to push myself, and to really, really live. I don't want to ever look back and have regret. I thought about friends and family who are no longer here, and for some reason I felt their presence, I felt them cheering me on because I could do something that they were unable to. It didn't feel like pressure to perform, just... happiness at the chance to honor life by not giving up on myself, by finding strength I didn't have.

This was very powerful, and as a result I was able to really push through the push press and probably did that set faster than any other. However, I wasn't really able to hold on to that feeling when it came time to do sit-ups, not that I really needed it for sit-ups. Hopefully I can harness this newly-found moto, because it def helped today.

2 comments:

MarkD said...

Deep thoughts.

Adam said...

Thoughts I have almost everyday.