Saturday, February 20, 2010

Deadlift three rep max (Aka, relearning the deadlift)

So Wednesday we worked on our 3 rep deadlift max in the hopes to lift more than earlier this month when we worked on our two rep lift. Last time I lifted 295, but today I went from 275, and then jumped up to 315, and failed.

It seems that all of my recent success with the deadlift has been at the cost of form, that I was focused on weight and not form. I worked with Melissa on my form, and although keeping the core tight is becoming more natural, I'm having issues with my stance. I'm rounding my shoulders forward, so I need to keep my back flat while getting my hips into the right place. I do have tight hamstrings, so my issue might be a lack of flexibility.

Whatever the case, I need to relearn everything that I've known about the deadlift. It can be rather humbling, but the deadlift is way to dangerous to not learn proper form. I'm just surprised that I've gone this far with such bad form. It kind of makes me think of going to a barbell cert.

I'm very happy about working the core, I think I'm really starting to get it, and my stomach is starting to get strong, which will help out with everything in so many different ways.

No comments: