Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Push Press and met con

Today we worked on push press. This is probably my weakest lift form-wise, so I wanted to treat this as a kind of skill day (but still wanted a workout).

Every 3 minutes perform a repetition max using 60% of your 1RM in the Push press. Repeat for 4 cycles.


I went with a relatively light weight of 95#s. I thought doing 100 reps of too light weight would help me out more than 15 reps of too heavy weight. Tom "the cyborg" worked out with 135, was quite impressive. ...It was also impressive to watch him warm up by doing bar muscle ups. They look like pull ups where the kip has gone horribly strong and instead of chest to bar it's waist to bar, looks really strange/easy.

Anyway, I think I chose a great weight because I got in like 52 reps. After doing a little reasearch, turns out my 1 rep push press max is 155, so 95# is almost exactly 60% of my one rep max.

The first three sets it felt like Dip. Press. Almost no transference of force from the hips to the bar. At first i thought it was my grip, but on the fourth set Mellisa said I needed to try racking the weight instead of just holding it out in the air. In other words, I needed to move my elbows forward. I tried that, and for the first time ever it felf more like a wave of contraction. Coach also said it looked a lot better. I also made sure to keep my core tight and abs engaged, that was a whole lot of fun.

We then had a conditioner, and my time was 13:36, the last one in the class:


15 Loupees, 60 Double-unders, 12 Loupees, 48 Double-unders, 9 Loupees, 36 Double-unders


I had an ok time with the Loupees, all those push ups I'm doing during work are starting to pay off. however, I need a lot of work done on my du's and I am very inconsistent. I struggle with using only my wrists, and I still have the rope hit the left side of my back. I do think I made some progress though, and on my last run something kind of clicked with using my hands, and I was able to bang out 10 really good ones. ...On a frustrating note, today I was even having trouble with my singles. Looking forward to the workshop on Sunday so I can work on it.

No comments: