Monday, July 6, 2009

gymnastic Fran

Today's wod:

15-12-9
Thrusters @115#
muscle ups (alt is ring dips + pull ups)

I did three attempts on the muscle ups, and all three times I got myself into a deep ring dip position, and three times I couldn't hold onto it for the finish. This was on one hand very frustrating, but on the other hand this was the closest I've been to getting a MU in a while. So I did the alternate workout, and this was a very tough one for me. My time was 24:something. I don't know why these execises take up so much time, but they do.

The thrusters were very difficult for me, but near the end I started to figure out why. For one, I was having a real tough time keeping a tight core throughout the motion. Jerry pointed out that I wasn't keeping a tight core. This can still be tough for me, but I'm still unhappy with how much wind these things suck out of me. Secondly, Danny pointed out that my rack was inefficient. I was keeping my elbows down, but that prevented me from letting the bar tough my shoulders. Because of this dicconnect of the bar and my body, I couldn't readily transfer the energy from my body to the bar. This, in turn, forced me to press the weight overhead. When changed my form to more of a front squat rack, the thrusters had more of a pop and were easier.

Kind of sad to say, but I could only bang out 5 ring dips at a time in the begining, and it got worse as time went on. I did not allow myself to count shallow dips (although there were many of those) until the last set. My chest was just so tired I simply couldn't get back up once I lowered myself to a low dip. ...Although I've been doing random sets of pushups throughout the day, I think I need to step this up even more. I would like to try to get at least 10 dips a day.

On another note, I am now adding 100 ab mat situps to the end of the workout. these used to be easy for me, but now they are difficult.

I would also like to improve my Double unders. Right now I can occasionally get one for every five regular jumps. ...Just when you figure something out there's always something else to learn.

No comments: