Friday, July 24, 2009

New rest day

Well, today's WOD was push up intensive (150 push ups for time), but due to my donating of blood I couldn't work out today.

It's funny, doing 150 pushups probably would've rendered my shoulders numb/pain/worsen the tendonitis in them. Andy yet, I feel guilty not attending, even with the fact I'm a pint of blood short of normal. I don't like not working out is equal to a failure on my part. However, in order for me to fully recover the tendonitis in my shoulders I need to give them a rest to fully recover.

I'm also still scared about the possibility of sugury on my hip. As I read about arthroscopic surgury on the hip, I'm finding that this is pretty new. I know the surgeon is starting to come across this injury more and more. He even attended a clinic on this procedure in Janurary. So he might start to see these cases a lot, but I'm still unsure how much experience he's had with clearing up torn labrums in the hip. When I meet the surgeon on Wednesday here are the questions I will have for him:

1) How bad is the tear?
2) What will the surgery be like?
3) How much experience do you have with this?
4) What will the recovery be like?
5) Will I have to miss work?
6) How long will I be in physical therapy?
7) Will I be able to regain my current strength and more?
8) Do you know anything about Prolotherapy?

I'm still looking into prolotherapy, from what I can tell it will help with pain but nothing mechanical. The thing is, it doesn't seem like my problem is mechanical, I just feel a lot of pain. So many questions...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to regenerate part of your torn labrum you would probably need a PRP injection into that location.

Also if they end up having to shave down to much of your labrum you can get a reconstruction with Dr. Carreira. Best of luck with your decision.

You could have a little flap tear that's getting caught in your joint in the superior-anterior margin and pinching and that's causing your pain. Usually they would just cut that off or they could try to flip it back and suture (basically staple it back down to your bone). The latter is a longer recovery but preserves all the material. Positive and negative results have seen in each. Good luck.

Also the surgical process opens up the joint and capsule some.

Adam said...

This post is actually about four years old, I did end up doing the PRP from Dr. Hauser in Chicago. That helped a ton, but my squat mechanics were still off so I pulled a groin twice. ...I'm currently working with a physical therapist to fix that.