Friday, May 29, 2009

Thursday and tight hammies

Today was (surprise!) metcon:

800m run
40 box jumps
40 kb swings @ 53#
800m
30 box
30 kb
800m
20 box
20 kb

I actually didn't finish this workout because my back was waaaay to tight and painful. I was surprised because my kb swing form is awesome. Like, if we had a contest, I think I'd win the prize for the prettiest swing. Chriss commented about three times about how nice my kb swing was (it always seems like he's surprised, don't know why).

Anyway, you get the point, my form was great. However, after the first set my lower back was tightening up. I forced myself to do the second set, but after that I was done. It was a really, really new pain. It wasn't like the othe pain I've suffered in the back. The old pain was on the side, around the kidney. This was definitely the lumbar/lower back muscles. I walked the last 800 m, did the box jumps, and called it quits.

Talked to Danny about it, and appearently the back pain comes from tight hamstrings. Since I'm keeping my back rigid, it's not from my lower back lifting the kb swing, it's from the back muscles fighting my hamstrings. After about 20 min my back was 90% better, and after an hour it was back to normal. I imagine this confirms Danny's hypothesis

No comments: