Monday, December 14, 2009

Strict press 1 rep max PR and double under PR

Was very surprised, but today I managed another large gain on the strict press.

Strict press: 1 rep
Rep out at 70%

On the fourth round I hit my old PR of 125, but I hit it pretty easily, so I upped it to 130. Racked the weight, sucked in a big breath, flexed the abs/gluts/quads, and pressed it out without slowing down. So that's a 5 pound improvement in less then a month over last time.

Tried 135 but only got it up like three inches.

Dropped it down to 85 and banged out 17 reps, quite dramatic the difference 50#s can make.

Did 3 rounds of the conditioner:
10 dips
30 double unders

I got 9 dips in a row, but when I got to the DU's I hit three, hit my foot, and then banged out 21! That's a five rep improvement. However, I still suck at dips. I feel like I've lost a lot of strength from recovering from the shoulder tendonitis.

If seeing this type of improvement is typical after teaching my shoulder muscles to relax (aka getting rid of the huge knots in my back), I can not wait to see what happens to squats once my hip muscles learn to relax. Maybe I'll get a 300+ fgb score next year. Speaking of that I meet Olga the masseuse this Wednesday again, can't wait.

So excited.

3 comments:

Sean said...

I've amended the Soni/Houston PR Spreadsheet to include your new Strict Press record. Nice work dude!

By the way... this whole statement:

"Speaking of that I meet Olga the masseuse this Wednesday again, can't wait. So excited."

Doesn't sound right - does Kristin know about this?

;)

Adam said...

Haha, yeah I guess it does sound sketch. ...Kristin knows about it, and has nothing to fear. You getting pumped for the hopper finale this saturday?

Sean said...

I'm bummed to say that I think I'm riding the "pine pony" for the Hopper finale. Actually it all depends on the movements - if there is a luck of the draw and there are movements I can do then I'm down like James Brown!