Thursday, December 25, 2008

Murph again

This workout was a favorite of Navy Lt. Michael Murphy:

For time:

1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you've got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.

My time was 65:29, only about three minutes less than my first time back in August. This is a really small improvement, but since my last time was pretty unofficial I question its validity. Regardless, I'm happy with this time. The push ups were the bottleneck, as expected. At one point I was standing there, waiting for feeling to return to my shoulders, when Jerry asked me something. I wasn't sure what he said, but his expectant look said, "What's the hold up?" "Why are you just standing there?" It was actually pretty funny, because I had no response, just got into the plank and start cranking them out.

The air squats were perhaps the easiest, I started pretending I had a weight racked and that helped with keeping my core tight. Never had to break up the pullups, and they were a welcome repreive from the other exercises. The pain in my ankle kept me from really pushing myself on the last mile run. It's like a sharp stabbing pain, and it hurts more so when I try to run. Hopefully a few days rest with the holidays will help.

No comments: