Sunday, December 7, 2008

Putting the "Rest" in "Rest Later"

Ok, so this past week was my first real attempt at trying to make it to the morning classes, and I made it with some success. However, the price of waking up early was getting less sleep (seems like I have difficulty going to bed before midnight) Usually I got around 6-7 hours of sleep, but at least once I only got 5 hours. This has been much different from the 8-9 hours of sleep I'm used to.

So now it's the weekend, and my body is telling me I needed more sleep. For example, I went out for a bit on Friday night and went to sleep at like 1. I turned off my alarm and just let myself naturally wake up. This resulted in 12 hours of sleep. This alone is would tell me that my body needed some time to recover, but there's more. I also fell asleep only six hours later, around 7:00, while I was trying to figure out dinner. Woke up at 3:30, but went back to sleep after an hour. Although I set the alarm so I could attend the Grace challenge, when it woke me up I hit the "off" button instead of the snooze button, so I woke up at 10:40. That's nearly 16 hours straight, and 27 hours of sleep in a 36 hour time period.

I used to sleep like this on the weekends when I deprived myself of rest on the weekdays, so I'm really not sure how to handle my attempt at getting up in the morning. I mean, I really do like waking up early and being done with everything early. I prefer leaving work at 5 rather than 10:30 (obviously) . One reason why I think I've progressed so much with crossfit has been allowing myself adequate recovery (sleep) time. I'll post later about how sleep really is important, but right now I've gotta go make breakfast, haven't eaten anything for about 20 hours now!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Sorry that you missed the challenge! It was a sight to see for sure!