Monday, August 25, 2008

Second date with Fran

Well, today I did Fran for the second time. I was still sore from Friday, and just felt like I had no energy. The memory of my last Fran was fresh in my mind, so was a little intimidated. I was also concerned that this could aggravate my hip, but since I see the osteopath tomorrow this might be my last chance to do squats for a while (I have a feeling he'll tell me not to do them).

My strategy for the first round was to bang out the thrusters 10-11, but at rep 15 I really struggled. Jerry, being the awesome coach that he is, asked if my shoulder was ok. It was everything but the shoulder that was bothering me, and for some reason that fired me up to finish the last 6 quickly. For the pull-ups I made sure to tape up my hands, so no disaster there. I think I need to make my kip smaller, because I use a big swing that eats up time. However, I wasn't going to change now; my lats are still spasming from Badger on Friday and they could use all the help they could get.

I hit the wall on the second round of thrusters, felt real light-headed and simply had no energy, but I aimed for 5-5-5 (think it ended up something like 3-2-3-2-4-1). The pull ups were hard, but nothing too bad. The last set was pretty good, the only thing I'm unhappy about is on the eighth pull up I stopped and had to reset for the last rep, which took up some time.

I did it this time in 15:33, so in five weeks with a two week vacay I cut my Fran time by 4:10. This is a great improvement, and I just can't wait to reach that sub-ten Fran time. I think the next time I see Fran as the WOD, I'll approach it as a way to demonstrate the progress I've made, not as an unpleasant experience.

No comments: