Saturday, August 30, 2008

TGIF and a new grip for pull-ups

Today was fun, I felt like I did a really, really good job of pushing myself.

Today's WOD:
5 rounds for time
400 M run
15 KB swings (52lbs)
30 Squats

I nerfed the workout a little by using 45lb kb, my shoulder wasn't feeling quite right earlier in the day and I didn't want to push it. My kb swings aren't perfect yet, I'm having issues with moving my hips back. I don't move them back far enough, so I can't generate max power. I think of it like my body is like a rubber band. The more the band streches, the more potential energy is availible to be converted into kinetic energy. Same could be said about a pull up kip, the father back and up you move your legs the more power will be generated during the forward motion.

Also worked on my pull-up form with Danny. Appearently I've been using a difficult grip.

This is how I've been gripping the bar:











This, appearently, how I should grip the bar:

Pardon the use of props, but an unopened bottle of wine was the only cylindrical thing I could find. But by placing the thumb above the bar, I can rest my palms on top of the bar and use more of my forearm muscles, rather than my finger muscles. This also may explain why my pull-ups suck near the end, even though I feel like my lats are strong enough to carry me through. This might make things like Badger a little easier. ...I have a strange feeling I will get to test out this new grip soon....

3 comments:

Katie said...

Hmmm... was it really unopened? ;)

Adam said...

haha, yes it was unopened. Although every week I allow myself to sub out the apple for two glasses of wine in my night time snack. Mmm, wine, cheese, and peanuts.

Katie said...

Would you like some cheese with that wine? :)