Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The girlfriend came to crossfit

I should have written about this on the 28th. I apologize for not writing about it earlier, but I was a little busy. On the 28th, my girlfriend, Kristin, came into town from Chicago in preparation for the Spain trip. I convinced her to come attend a crossfit session so that she would have a better understanding of what I keep raving about. She agreed, but planned on attending only to observe and then working out at the PTO gym while I finished up some things at work.

So she's in her workout clothes and is sitting there watching us work on strength for Fran (Heavy squat thrusters, pull-ups with weight vests). There was another Crossfit newcomer that evening, so Jerry came up with a body weight workout for her to try out (I think it was like 12 sets of 6 pushups, 10 air squats, and 9 situps). Since Jerry was setting up a separate program any way, Kristin asked to try it out as well.

Seeing my girlfriend try out crossfit was awesome. Like most crossfitters, I believe everyone should do it and seeing her try it out made me very excited for her. Perhaps she'll find it to be such a wonderful experience that she would find a crossfit gym or start adding crossfit elements to her workout. It was also very strange to workout knowing she could be watching me, and I think that added a little bit of pressure, and I mean that in a good way.

Kristin did find it to be an intense workout. Also, she learned how to properly perform squats. (As she told me, "girls are taught to keep their knees together.") She did the workout without any problems, and when we were all done she seemed to be handling the recovery nicely.

Then we were ready to leave and she took a step down the stairs. She winced a little and said something like, "Wow, I guess I really did work out my legs." Unfortunately, I forgot about how sore you are for the week following your first day of crossfit, and her legs were not used to doing 120 squats in under 15 min. When I asked her about her experience, she commented on how Jerry made her feel very welcome and that she was impressed by how supportive everyone was of each other. She was glad she had finally tried crossfit, having heard so much about it over the last few months but was a little intimidated by watching us squat thrust such heavy weights. She didn't realize how intensely she had worked out at the time and this made it easy to push herself through the workout. She also added that it seemed to be a great workout not only for people who were short on time because of demanding jobs, but also those with small children that only have a few moments a week to themselves.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Has she forgiven you yet? :P