Friday, August 15, 2008

Crossfit is a tough itch not to scratch.

Coming back from a long trip involves a lot more than I had expected. So I don't use up all of my annual leave, I have to put in 10 hours today and Saturday. Because I had therapy today, attending crossfit would require me to not get back home until 11:00, which I simply can't do (especially with the jetlag).

I feel really guilty, like I'm a quitter by not going. I'm also experiencing the "crossfit itch". I imagine this feels similar to withdrawal: physically, my body feels restless, wanting to exert itself, psychologically, my mind wants to experience that peace that occurs when I push myself so hard nothing else matters. However, if I get fired for not putting in the hours I need to I'd have no way to afford my crossfit membership, so I will just have to endure until Sunday at 9:00.

Having said that, I'll now focus on the positive: I'm learning more and more about what is going on with my hip, how iliopsoas tendonitis works. After talking to the therapist, this is what I've learned:

1. My right hip tilts forward (stretching the tendon) because there is an imbalance in strength and flexibility in my muscles. One possible reason is my core strength is heavily dependent upon my hip flexors alone, not my abs and my hip flexors. My dependency upon my hip flexor strength may be why my pelvis tilts forward: the counteracting muscle is too weak to keep the pelvis in place. This dependence on hip flexors also explains why some ab exercises have always been really, really tough for me. Cheryl, if you're reading this, this ab-weakness of mine is why I can only do 50 ab mat sit-ups in the time you can do 100 ab mat sit-ups with a medicine ball.

2. After the two week vacay, my hip flexor is not as tight, so the condition is improving. According to the therapist, it used to be "as tight as a piano wire" and the muscle used to spasm to the touch. Neither seems to be the case right now. Also, my hip flexibility has also increased, in stretching my abductors I’ve gone from 90 degrees to 110 degrees (only 70 degrees more until I can do the splits).

3. Unlike I originally thought, I will be able to do squats, I just can’t go as deep as I’ve been going. (it’s only the last 1” or so that pinches the tendon and causes me pain).

4. Ab-mat sit-ups maybe the best thing ever for iliopsoas tendonitis. The butterfly position of the feet disengages the hip flexors, causing the person to solely use their ab muscles. Moreover, the butterfly also stretches the iliopsoas while using core muscles. So Cheryl, I look forward to the next time you get on my case for not doing them quickly enough.

5. Now that I'm starting to understand the underlying causes of this condition, I think I will be able to get better. I now plan on really focusing on my core strength when working out. I know we need to always focus on our core while doing crossfit exercises, but now I need to focus on involving my abs more than my hips. This might work, I sure hope so.

6. I now have even more motivation to find a DO who practices manipulation. It really does seem like a DO's expertise is a perfect match for my condition. My goal is to have an appointment with one by the end of next week.

So all in all, although I feel bad about not already getting back into crossfit, I will be back in like two days and back on track to recovery and fitness.

No comments: